July 27, 2006

New Alfa Romeo Coming to U.S. Shores


The car magazines are reporting that Alfa Romeo will be exporting its stunning new Brera coupe and convertible (the "Spider") to the U.S. Ok, I know this doesn't have much to do with the media or politics -- car magazine journalism? U.S.-Italy relations? world trade? -- but damn, anyone who has seen the movie The Graduate knows that there's nothing like a red Alfa Romeo to stir one's senses, and at an affordable price to boot!

I have a special affinity for Alfa Romeos, since I learned how to drive on a red 1976 Alfetta GT. It was beautiful looking, had a sensuous exhaust growl, drove like it was wired into my brain, and, like many Alfas, did not resemble anything else on the road. Unfortunately, its reliability, especially the wiring and electronic system, was such that it earned the moniker Spaghetti Car. Due to these reliability problems, Alfa was unable to compete with the super-dependable Japanese cars such as the Miata. In the late 80s and early 90s, Alfa tried again with its boxy 164 sedan, but did not fare any better, and, by the mid-90s, Alfa Romeo abandoned the U.S. market.

Hopefully this time, Alfa will have improved its cars' reliability, and its Brera will drive as well and last as long as its dynamic good looks.

5 Comments:

At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a former owner of a '76 Alfa GT, this brings back many fond memories. We loved the car, depite becoming close friends with Luigi, the Alfa mechanic. I look forward to seeing the new models here, and would buy one again in an instant!

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I think I'd look pretty good behind the wheel of one of these!! ;)

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger media concepts said...

Natalie would indeed look good behind the wheel of a red Alfa convertible. But then again, Natalie would also look good behind the wheel of a beige Oldsmobile.

 
At 4:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt, I don't know you, but I now hate you. It'll be nice to see these on this side of the pond, I can see my mum becoming very jealous if I purchase one...

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger media concepts said...

Thanks Mik, but why do you now hate me? Is it because you now have to save to buy an Alfa? Is it because I learned how to drive on one? Is it because your mum will want you to buy her one? Or is it just because I'm beautiful?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home