September 28, 2007

Dhalaiwood Lama?

Has the Dalai Lama gone Hollywood? I received this advertisement from my alma mater, Emory University, today, stating that the Dalai Lama is appearing at Emory next month. I'm very happy that Emory has lured His Holiness to the faculty as a Presidential Distinguished Professor. When I was at Emory in the 1980s, ex-President Jimmy Carter joined the faculty. I love going to a school whose reputation keeps rising, and that, to paraphrase Groucho Marx, would not accept me as a member today.

But something does not sit right with me about the ad. The photo of the Dalai Lama looks like a standard publicity shot. It looks completely staged, down to the clasped hands. I know that the Dalai Lama is an important peace messenger, and that he makes appearances all around the world. But does he really need to have Hollywood-style publicists, agents and handlers, and a slick-looking publicity shot, as if he were Madonna?

9 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

You're right. He hardly resembles a Buddhist any longer. It almost looks like he had a manicure. I'm giving up on meditation when Thich Nhat Hahn poses on a glossy poster like this.

What is it about Emory and the far South that attracts so many Northeasterners?

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger media concepts said...

I have no idea what you mean. The Dalai Lama isn't from the Northeast, he's from the Far East. And Jimmy Carter is from the Deep South.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Aileen said...

Um, I think Barbara meant you, MC.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

Aileen -- Right! And I did know that Jimmy Carter was from peanut country.

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger media concepts said...

Once again, my attempt at humor falls flat.

 
At 4:25 AM, Blogger ghetufool said...

thanks for bringing this up. i have noticed it for long that the spiritual gurus are getting as glamorous as movie stars. not that the inner beauty is showing only, but they are actually getting glamourous at an alarming rate :-)

signs of trouble.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger media concepts said...

I guess if Albert Einstein were around today, he'd have a stylist who'd say, "My God, we just have to do something with that hair!"

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

I'm picturing Albert with straight hair in a pony tail. How does that sound?

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger media concepts said...

I think he'd have an Owen Wilson shag cut.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home