October 26, 2009

Would You Have Children if You Knew They Would Die Before You?


Worse yet, if you knew they would rapidly age and then die before your eyes? That's why I can't get a dog.

I love dogs. I'm crazy about dogs. I grew up with dogs. I pet dogs, visit dogs, and walk dogs. But most dogs, depending on their size, breed, and other factors, can only be expected to live about 10 to 15 years. And after five or six or seven years, they may start to show clear signs of aging. The playful puppy who tireless chased down tennis balls is suddenly the white-faced older dog who has trouble climbing and descending the stairs. And then one day, not long afterward, ....

Maybe it's because, when I was a kid, I saw my four year-old dog struck and killed by a giant Cadillac. But even if that didn't happen, I would have outlived her, and a succession of other beloved dogs that I might have acquired, by many years.

I keep thinking of the verse from the song "Mr. Bojangles," which now I find out was inspired by a man who was grieving about his dog being struck and killed by a car:

He spoke through tears of 15 years how his dog and him traveled about
The dog up and died, he up and died
And after 20 years he still grieves

Like the man in the song, I just don't know if I could take it.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. I grieve every time I lose a dog, but I will always have at least one. They make life so much more bearable because they are always there for you.

The dog on the right has to be Spencer, yes? As I recall he's a golden lab, just like my Jake. It will be hard to find another dog as good as Jake and I know the clock is ticking for him as he approaches 12.

I think you absolutely must get a dog!

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger media concepts said...

The dog on the right is Spencer, and the one on the left is his new brother (really, roommate) Morgan, a rescued Cocker Spaniel who has lots of crazy friendly energy. As you can see from Spencer's face, he's still in a bit of shock and denial about the whole thing.

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger ghetufool said...

mc,
it's a very existential question that you raised and i am glad that it never struck me. if leaving in self denial on these issues are good, i would love to deny the existence of these facts.
but you have to consider a fact here. the dogs are living their full life. it's not your fault that they don't live a bit longer. it's not a question of who outlives whom, but who is living his full life and how enjoyable it is. as barbara says, you must and absolutely should have a dog.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger media concepts said...

Ghetufool -- you make a good point. Assuming the dog dies of "old age" and natural causes, it has lived a full life from its perspective. But that's the same hypothetical example I raised regarding children in the title and first paragraph of the post.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

There's a difference: Children don't usually die before their parents and if they do, it definitely makes their parents very sad. But dogs do.

It seems like you hang out a lot with Spencer and probably now with Morgan as well, so you might as well have your very own dog. On the other hand, if you wait until you are about 85, it might outlive you...

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Aileen said...

Interesting question. Are you saying that more than a handful of years of joy and unconditional love are not worth the grief and loss you will feel later?

My question to pet owners (since I've never been one)- is it all about you or is it all about the animal?

I guess a similar question could be posed to parents...

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger media concepts said...

Good question ....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home