August 06, 2006

Are Bloggers Trained Monkeys?


The count is up to three. That is how many requests I have received thus far to write on specific topics. The topics have varied widely, and are very interesting. They reflect the passion and creativity of the people making the suggestions. That's why I suggested to the suggesters, and here suggest again, that these folks start a blog if they do not have one, and, if they do have one, to write about their pet topic themselves.

Are other bloggers receiving these requests as well? If so, do you find it odd? Do other types of writers receive requests to write about specific topics from people other than publishers or editors who are paying them? Does Dan Brown receive requests to write books about UFOs landing in Vatican City? Does Robert Novak receive requests to out more CIA agents? (Actually, that's a bad example, he probably does, and is working on them now). Aren't blogs -- web logs -- supposed to be personal to the writer, like diaries?

Perhaps this is a form of flattery, but I am not so delusional to think I can write about a subject better than the suggester who feels passionate enough to suggest it.

So again, I politely suggest to the suggesters, no more suggestions, please. Unless you're paying for my services. Then let's talk.

6 Comments:

At 3:51 PM, Blogger Jamy said...

I don't get suggestions for topics, but I get requests to link to for-profit sites or to promote products. I wonder, why on earth would I do such a thing for free?

I do occasionaly accept a request to review a book.

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger wharman said...

I don't know about trained, but I do like bananas. It was fun to chat with you on Friday!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Barbara said...

I don't think I've inspired anyone to start a Blog yet. Most people seem so guarded about putting themselves out there for the world to read. Instead of suggesting that I write something, I more often get the question, "How in the world did you come up with that topic?" Some day maybe my Blog will have a real theme, instead of just being the random collection of my life experiences.

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about blogging about how to find freelance work? I could use something like that...also maybe how to account for freelance work on taxes, etc...and maybe you can explain whether freelancing is a small business or not and if it is, point us in the direction of some good accountants etc. specializing in it.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger media concepts said...

Thanks for the feedback.
Jamy: requests for book reviews would be flattering, and are far different from requests to blog on certain topics.

Wharman: Too bad all they had was champagne and flowers at the happy hour, no bananas. I guess you could have ordered a banana daquiri.

Barbara: "the random collection of my life experiences." That sounds like a theme to me.

Serena: Very funny. I have a suggestion for you: You should start the "suggestion blog" where hopefully all your suggestions will be answered, each in a separate, pithy post.

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL thanks...LOL

I take it that means you don't like my suggestions then.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home