August 12, 2007

Watching TV With the Computer


Did I start a new trend? How popular is this trend? Or am I the only one who does this? I'm talking about watching tv with the computer.

Case in point: last night, I catch part of Face/Off for the umpteenth time. As invariably happens, I discover a detail that had not caught my attention during previous viewings. When the doctor first tells Sean Archer (John Travolta) how easy it will be to rip his face off and stick Castor Troy's (Nicholas Cage) face on him in order to fool Castor's brother Pollux (deliciously creepy as portrayed by Allesandro Nivola), the doctor says that the height difference between Castor and Sean is "negligible." I understand that in real life, Cage is six foot one. Is Travolta really that tall? I decide to hop on the nearby laptop to check it out. I find out that Travolta is six foot two. And five foot ten. And every height in between. You have to love the Internet.

Case in point number two: next, I tune to The Two Coreys . Corey one (Haim) has moved in with Corey two (Feldman). I can't figure out where Corey two and his wife live. It's some green, spacious area that is definitely not Los Angeles or Southern California. I look for a clue. I find one. A flower shop whose sign reads "Thomas Hobbs Florist." I get back on Yahoo! search, and within seconds, I pull up a bunch of hits for Thomas Hobbs Florist. They are all in Vancouver. I sit back, satisfied, waiting for the next fun tv fact to check out online. I'm my own Pop-Up Video.

Next, I check my email and split my attention with other multitasks. That's because The Two Coreys, like most everything else on television, just isn't very good.

5 Comments:

At 7:51 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

I would have to be really hard-up for things to do to be watching TV in any venue. And I even know that not watching TV is probably considered anti-American. Does that make me a terrorist? :)

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger media concepts said...

Barbara - then what do you talk about at dinner parties? No Britney Spears? No Lindsey Lohan?

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Aileen said...

I am a big fan of the muli-media entertainment phenomenon.

That's also why they have set up chat rooms for certain shows- you can actually chat with others online while your favorite show is on to discuss it. (I personally don't go that far, but can understand the appeal.)

My favorite is watching "So you think you can dance" while simultaneously reading blogs and IM'ing with a friend! I was guilty of that just last night.

 
At 4:35 AM, Blogger ghetufool said...

good observations. i guess, i didn't come across a more cynical fellow than you. you a scientist? a social-scientist to be sure.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger media concepts said...

If researching things I see while watching television is "cynical," then I'm guilty for sure. Though I do find it a fun way to keep the brain active.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home