January 20, 2008

Jim Gilmore For President!


Oops, I guess I'm too late. Does anybody remember Jim Gilmore? Republican, pasty white guy, Southern accent, dark suit, receding dark hair, ran for President this past year? No? I guess I need to be more specific.

Jim (you can't call a candidate by his full first name anymore) Gilmore served as the Governor of Virginia from 1998 to 2002. He officially announced his candidacy for President in April 2007. Unfortunately, no one was paying attention at the time. A few days later, Gilmore participated in the first Republican Presidential debate for the 2008 election, at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library. That debate was watched by hundreds of people. Three months later, Gilmore became the first candidate to drop out of the race.

Here in California, no one I know has ever heard of Jim Gilmore. I must have a soft spot for Gilmore, because I lived in neighboring Maryland while Gilmore was the governor of Virginia. Sadly, Gilmore's website, Jim Gilmore for President '08, is still up, as proof that nothing on the Internet ever goes away. Even more sadly, its sister site, gilmoreforpresident.com, "has been temporarily suspended."

In the heat of this crazy primary season, as voters have finally started paying attention to a race that may be over at least in one party a mere two weeks from now, I propose that we drink a toast to Jim Gilmore, a man ahead of his time.

1 Comments:

At 7:12 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

I would still welcome Al Gore as a dark horse for "the other party." But I can understand his reluctance to run even if he were to be drafted. He seems to have come into his own as he tries to save the planet from humanity. Our next President is going to come into office with the deck heavily stacked against him/her, thanks to the legacy left behind by W & Friends.

As for Jim Gilmore, he is from my state and I barely remember him. The Presidential campaign always leaves a lot of destruction in its wake. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tom Davis toss his hat into the ring, but maybe in 4 years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home