October 11, 2006

My Odometer Must Be One Zero Short of a Thousand


A strange thing happened while biking on the Capital Crescent Trail the other day. I was riding upright, with no hands on my handlebars. I do that a lot, because I find it more comfortable than the hands-on position. Sometimes I keep my arms and hands tucked in close to my body, resting my hands on my thighs, both for variety and to be more aerodynamic. In this position, as I passed by a couple of women walkers, it occured to me that, both coming and going, I might look like I have no arms. It's the kind of thought one has when one gets into the rhythm of the ride and the mind begins to drift. That, and songs like "Hotel California" that keep repeating in my head.

Not 2 minutes later, I saw a biker approaching me from a distance. He had one hand on the handlebar. I didn't see his other hand or arm. I figured, he's doing the one-handed tuck, I need to try that some time. Then he got closer. I saw that, in fact, he had only one arm. How often does one see a one-armed biker? How often does one see a one-armed biker less than two minutes after thinking about bikers with no arms?

6 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger ghetufool said...

wow! great realisation. loved to return to your blog with a lovely post.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger media concepts said...

Thanks. I had a strong reaction to your post about your dog. I could not quite square your love for him with beating him.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger ghetufool said...

yes, that was quit a sadist act.

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Joelogon said...

When I skate on the W&OD, I often have both hands behind my back, so I've wondered about the armless thing as well.

I have not, however, encountered any skaters or bikers missing limbs, though.

As for songs stuck in my head on the trail, I tend towards pop songs with simple beats and annoying hooks. Like the Macarena. -- Joe

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger media concepts said...

Thanks a lot, Joe. Now can you please suggest a song that can replace the Macarena that is booming around in my head?

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Joelogon said...

It's one of those situations where the cure can be worse than the disease, so I think I've said enough. -- Joe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home