August 18, 2007

I Can't Help it -- I Like to Work in Cafes and My Hearing is Scary Good


"I told my therapist that I'm having trouble saying yes to sex." That's what the sixty-something woman told her friend a couple of days ago, five feet from me and my chicken salad sandwich. I and my sandwich agreed that it was too much information to be imparted at that volume level.

A few minutes later, a young woman with her back to me was on her cellular telephone, saying. "this may sound a bit far-fetched, but can you check how much it would cost to ship my mattress and box spring here?" Within a couple of minutes, she said calmly, "Mother, I'm sorry you're obviously having a bad day, but there's no need --". Then she said to the older man sitting across from her, "she hung up on me."

Later that day, three young women and a young man sat near me at another cafe. One of the women sounded like an attorney. They were talking about a yet-unborn baby, and the signing of papers. "I might get married one day," said another of the women. "It could happen, you know." This caused the others to laugh. Then they began talking about C-Sections and hospital recovery rooms. I thought that it was odd to have this conversation outside at a coffee shop rather than in a law office. When they stood up, I could see that the third woman, helped up by the young man, was very pregnant. Her gold metallic handbag contrasted sharply with the unmarried woman's Gucci bag. They all hugged, and then the Gucci woman left with the couple, everyone smiling.

I was glad to hear that at least some of the women around town were having a good day.

3 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

Nobody seems to give a damn about what they say in public these days. Sometimes I even think people are saying obscene things to themselves, only to realize they are talking in full voice into a cell phone. I often think I should invest in a good pair of earplugs to keep out the TMI that is everpresent.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger media concepts said...

Then what would I blog about?

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Barbara said...

Hey, if you like being a fly on someone else's wall! :) No one is going for a flyswatter...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home