August 06, 2008

How My Obama Bumper Sticker Caused Another Republican to Demonstrate His Ignorance


Yesterday, a guy in a convertible version of my car pulled up to my right at a red light, and hollered:

Hey, did you hear that Obama told Kucinich that he'll take the [our brand of German car]s off the road?

Me: No, I haven't heard that.

Him: Yup, he said it.

Then the guy sped off.

I guess I should be happy that someone noticed the Obama bumper sticker (pictured above) on the back of my car. That's what the sticker is for. But I have to assume that the driver next to me is a Republican who was merely spreading another false meme regarding Barack Obama.

These phony Obama memes are really laughable in their lack of logic. My favorite one is the "Obama's a Muslim" meme, which was portrayed on The New Yorker magazine's recent satirical yet wildly unfunny cover. The people who spread that meme also spread guilt-by-association criticism of Obama regarding Reb'n Wright, Obama's former pastor at the Trinity United Church of Christ. Hmm, Muslim? Church of Christ? These Republicans never pause to examine the inherent contradiction, indeed, the impossibility, of believing these two memes at the same time.

Ditto for the European car meme told to me at the traffic light yesterday. For years, Republicans have characterized Democrats as "Volvo-driving liberals."
If there is any truth to that characterization, then no Democratic presidential candidate in his right mind would ever say that he would take drivers of cars made in a nearby Western European country off the road. Not to mention that there was no common sense reason given to do so.

Pollsters and pundits are constantly trying to determine demographic categories -- age, race, education, religion, etc. -- that predict whether people will vote Democratic or Republican. I think I just figured out the most accurate predictor of a Republican voter: the absence of logic in the voter's mind.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

They are constantly pulling at straws, and some are short. The title of your post made me wonder for a second or two... "another Republican"? Nah, impossible.

I am a little disappointed in Obama's recent reversal of his stand on off-shore oil drilling. It needs to be more than about getting votes.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger media concepts said...

Another Republican shows his ignorance? Yes, that list is getting long.

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger RiverPoet said...

What gets me is how brazen these folks are. I mean, really. Did he think he was going to change your mind? That you were too dumb to question a statement like that?

Peace - D

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger media concepts said...

Riverpoet, you're exactly right. If this is the McCain strategy to win the election, Democrats ought not to be too worried.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home