February 06, 2008

"It's the FBI's Fault"


So muttered the man to me as we walked past each other yesterday. When I asked him "how so?" he merely repeated, "it's all the fault of the FBI." Then he proceeded on his merry way.

I know it's dangerous to try to get into the head of a crazy person, but what the hell. I'm trying to figure out what this man was referring to. The only thing I have come up with so far is this story from last year, regarding the Bush FBI's abuse of the "national security letter" process to spy illegally on some three thousand Americans who did not represent a terrorist threat.

Are there any other major cases of FBI wrongdoing of late? Maybe the man on the street wasn't so crazy after all.

2 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

Believe it or not, I started my working career at the FBI, where I lasted all of 3 months. It was a scary place back then too, where they encouraged new hires to live together and inform on each other. I lived in utter fear every time someone in my group house lit up a joint. (I at least had enough sense not to live with my coworkers.) If I had stayed there, I'm sure I would have become as crazy as the man you overheard.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger media concepts said...

Barbara, you must have been way to free-thinking for that place. The FBI, that is, not the group house.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home