May 07, 2008

Television of the Idiots, By the Idiots, For the Idiots


This isn't a rant as much as a eulogy. My television is off. And I don't know when it's going back on. No, it's not broken. And I did not make a decision to turn it off. I just feel no desire to turn my television back on.

I think it was all the tv news channel banshees and hyenas braying and yelling at each other for months over the Democratic primary race between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, especially their focus on pseudo-"issues." The last straw may have been the recent Democratic debate held on ABC and moderated by Charles Gibson and George Stephanopoulos. That dismal, embarrassing performance by the ABC moderators, focusing on lapel pins and whether someone's pastor "loves America" in the midst of two wars, a mortgage crisis, and an economic meltdown, may well become The Day Television Died. It certainly felt that way for me.

The rest of the tv networks' schedule seems equally embarrassing. Here was the bulk of the networks' lineup during prime time (8 p.m. to 10 p.m.) this past Monday:

"How I Met Your Mother"
"Deal or No Deal"
"Gossip Girl"
"Dancing With the Stars"
"Celebrity Expose"
"TV Watercooler"
"Dirty Jobs"
"Lockup"
"Star Trek: Enterprise"
"Flavor of Love 3"
"Die Hard" (which airs at least once every two weeks)

After seeing this schedule, I think a lot switch went off for me. So I turned on another light switch -- the one on the reading lamp next to my sofa. Then I opened a book. And I think I have closed another chapter.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, Blogger Barbara said...

My advice: get rid of your TV and renew your library card. In the interest of going green and staying sane...

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger media concepts said...

Good idea. I do have a new library card, and I use it frequently.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger david mcmahon said...

I guess I'm a life watcher, rather than a TV watcher!!

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger RiverPoet said...

Oh, how I agree with you on this! I seldom have the TV on when hubby isn't home. In fact, when he recently spent a weekend at his mother's house, our son and I didn't turn on the TV all weekend except to watch a DVD. TV programming has just sunk to new depths of silliness.

When hubby came home, he couldn't believe I didn't know what the weather was for the next week, nor did I know what happened in the world, nor did I know the major topics of the Sunday morning talking-head screamfests. And I didn't care.

:-)

Peace - D

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger media concepts said...

momma, all the items you mentioned are easily available on the Internet. There, you get to act as your own news editor, reading and viewing only the info. that you want. You don't have to sit through Britney Spears, shark attacks, or kids locked in dungeons. "Meet the Press" can be seen on MSNBCs website, without the commercials (but unfortunately, not without the screaming and inanity).

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

I used to be an avid television watcher, but lately the quality of television has been horrendous. I'm down to one or two shows and I have also started picking up good books again.

Thanks for the post. David sent me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home