August 11, 2008

Who Thinks About Men's Make-up During the Olympics?


I do. Or at least I did yesterday. That's because, on Friday, I saw a guy I know, who had just returned from China. He was there with his wife, who is a movie make-up artist. He told me that his wife stayed on in China to do Bob Costas' make-up during the Olympics. Then he told me that President Bush's people asked her to do Bush's make-up during the Olympics too.

Yesterday evening, I turned on the tv to try to locate some Olympic events. There on NBC was Bob Costas interviewing George Bush. I could have focused on a lot of things: the backdrop of the stunning Bird's Nest stadium, the serious subjects that Costas was questioning Bush about, including North Korea and Iran. But no. All I could think about was Bob Costas' and George Bush's make-up.

I don't know anything about make-up, except that when I see a woman wearing too much make-up, and it calls attention to itself, that's bad. I even had to research how to spell "make-up" to write this. I didn't know if "make-up" had a hyphen or not (apparently, there is a split of opinion on this issue, but Make-Up Artist magazine spells "make-up" with the hyphen).

Now I know that Bob Costas and George Bush had nice make-up jobs while they were conducting their interview from the Olympics in Beijing. Bush's complexion was ruddy and healthy looking, Costas' was more yellow or olive. I assume that reflects their natural skin tones.

I was probably one of maybe six people on the planet thinking about this at the time.

(photo from whitehouse.gov)

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, Blogger Barbara said...

What I want to know is why GB needed a make-up job to go to the Olympics? Do you suppose he gets his face done every day back home before he starts his day in the public eye? What a ridiculous use of taxpayers' money! As for Costas, I understand all those guys and girls are wearing improved faces when they do their thing on the air. That's just the way the "business" works. Do you suppose they all get manicures, too?

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger media concepts said...

Barbara -- as far as I know, pretty much every politician, actor, celebrity, and public figure of any kind, male or female, wears make-up when they're in public, especially if they are going to be on camera in any manner, which nowadays is all the time. I'm sure the men get manicures too. Bush's father used to get facial treatments once a week. McCain's make-up is caked on so thick that a chisel is probably needed to remove it.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Global Chameleon said...

Not to digress too much, but on the subject of men's fashion during this Olympics...what is up with the 1920's era sparkly man-suits on the men's swim team?

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger media concepts said...

GC - you haven't followed the development of those suits, both for men and women? It's a technical development that has been causing world records to fall left & right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home